Friday, April 14, 2017

Dropping the Mother

We’re very, very proud of our military.” Donald Trump


First, I am compelled to apologize to the entire nation of Afghanistan. Never in a hundred years would I have supported the dropping of a 21,600 pound, Massive Ordnance Air Blast Weapon on your country.


I’m sorry my country is now in the hands of a bunch of psychotics who want to rule the world.


What was the point of dropping a GBU-43/B weapon now? After 16 years of futility and failure in Afghanistan, why drop this particular weapon? Was it a propaganda ploy to demonstrate that the US is prepared to unleash everything in its arsenal in order to wipe out Islamic extremism? Was this a message to Iran, North Korea or Russia? Donald Trump’s statement about being proud of our military was yet another example of how unfit this man is to hold the highest office in our land. I’m sorry, Trump, you fucking coward draft dodger, I served in the military and I am not proud that we dropped a massive bomb on a country that has been pulverized by decades of warfare. I am appalled, absolutely sickened, by how psychotic my country has become. From the time I was about 19 or 20, I knew I had been born and raised in a violent, racist, barbaric country, but I always believed that we could somehow control our baser instincts. No more. The title of most dangerous nation on this planet is ours.  


Compared to the US, Iran and North Korea are amateurs.


The idiot spokesman for the Trump White House, Sean Spicer, babbled about the accuracy of the GBU-43/B, but anyone who has paid attention since 9/11 knows that “precision” weapons are a myth. Innocent people always die or are terrorized, and with every drone, cruise missile or GBU-43/B strike we launch or drop, we engender more hatred and create more determined terrorists. How fucking stupid are the leaders of the US?


It’s all good for business though, good for Boeing and Raytheon and Lockheed Martin and all the rest of the arms manufacturers, dealers and brokers; good for tyrannical regimes in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and Israel; good for countries the US wants to drag under the NATO umbrella.


But it’s also fucking madness. The US is a sick nation, perverse, deranged. Look at us -- we celebrate ignorance, cruelty and brute force, the killing of innocent women and children, from Afghanistan to Yemen, and most of our political leaders are quite willing to let our own citizens perish if it produces a dime of profit for the investor class. We choke on hypocrisy and arrogance. Money has corrupted every aspect of American life; Donald Trump is but a symptom of a terminal illness.


The exceptional nation? No, not even mediocre. The heart of America is hollow.


I am sorry.



No comments: