Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Man Child and the Supremes

As a citizen-activist I'm supposed to care about President Bush's supreme court nominee, John G. Roberts, but I could not bring myself to watch W make his little statement on TV. It occured to me that it's a sad day when a citizen would rather watch a rerun of Seinfeld than his president, but that is the spot I find myself in. When I see W's goofy face a red light flashes in my brain and a shrieking warning siren sounds; my fists ball up and every muscle in my body tightens.

Of course the nomination of Judge Roberts is momentous -- for women's reproductive freedom, for the environment, for labor laws, for privacy rights -- and I'll have to get back in the game and read about this man, study his record, and hope he's not just another of Bush's ideologues. For Roberts is young, only fifty, and has the potential to be around for a very long time.

Bush cited Roberts' record of "fairness and civility," which struck me funny since W's reign has been anything but fair or civil. Bush and his boys have exacerbated problems at home and abroad, dividing our country and making the world a decidedly more dangerous place.

So, while W was jabbering on, I watched Seinfeld, the episode where George pretends he's a marine biologist and saves a whale by pulling a golf ball from its blowhole. "The sea was angry that day my friends," George said.

I know what you mean, Costanza, I know what you mean.

No comments: