Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Anniversary of the Balcony

As the calendar turns and the crow flies I see that Shouts from the Balcony is a year old this month.

The blogosphere is full of crackpots, and I am certainly one, sitting here week after week – day after day in some instances – writing to a worldwide yet largely invisible audience. This still seems self-indulgent and screwy to me, a loon on a street corner shouting into a gale force wind.

Folks trip across the Balcony by accident, stay for less than a minute, on average, and split in search of something more interesting.

A couple of readers have asked why I write about external things like national politics and very little about my family. Basic privacy is one reason, point of view would be another; sometimes it’s easier to draw a bead on a far off target than one nearby. Another reason for my choice of subjects is that the current national political scene pisses me off and compels me to add my voice to the din. When you look at your country, even from afar, and don’t recognize it, that’s cause for alarm.

Interest in the Balcony spiked after I posted a rant against a local school board member. I had no idea that the piece would be referred to in the Santa Barbara News-Press as an “angry” blog, or that the blog address would be printed in the paper. Lots of people visited after that.

But like I said, now it’s the occasional day-tripper, my in-laws, my mother, Bubba who lives in Arizona, a few colleagues from the school district where I work. I started this thing on a lark and never expected much. Writers are notorious feedback hounds, however, and it’s gratifying when someone posts a comment, reports that something struck them as funny, insightful or even downright pigheaded.

Whether or not the Balcony will see a second anniversary is an open question. Time and events will tell, but for now, I thank all those who have visited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing. You are OK. But, don't forget to spend time with your kids.

Anonymous said...

Stay the course Tanguay, your far better off with an outlet for your thoughts and musings then with an audience of critics. But for what it's worth I dig your rants, keep it up and keep stickin' it to the man !