Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Poem - Musing on the Muse

I’ve loved her long enough to know
That she answers no summons but her own;
Coming and going like woodsmoke
Like a dream
Where and when she pleases

Indifferent to my need she’s with someone else tonight
Making another’s pulse race, afflicting another’s mind with fever
Stealing another’s breath

Is she in Peru?
Or a Dublin pub?
A farmhouse on the veld?
Or a methadone clinic in East St. Louis?

She’s wherever beauty and ugliness collide
Wherever forces seen and unseen scream for expression
Recognition
Acknowledgment
For life beyond death

My need is naked, raw, primal
But tonight she ignores my plea, toys with my devotion
Proving once again that she belongs to no one
Owes no allegiance to crown or coin
Plays no favorites

Every cell in me wants to hate her
Yet tonight, once again
I await her arrival

No comments: