Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Post-Op


Six days since my rotator cuff surgery. Pain is constant but not overwhelming, and I’m down to one Percocet a day. The most difficult aspect so far is getting a decent night’s slumber; I have to sleep on my back, propped up with pillows, but force of habit makes me yearn to roll on my left side. Yesterday I took a walk in the neighborhood for the first time since the surgery, my arm encased in a navy blue sling. Except for almost being run down by a Quest Diagnostics SUV (pedestrians get no respect in Santa Barbara anymore), it was invigorating to be outside in the open air. I also washed dishes for the first time, a milestone I know my wife appreciated. Tomorrow I see my orthopedic surgeon for a follow-up.

Meanwhile, the earth keeps turning on its axis and the perfectly quaffed and sartorially splendid weatherman on Good Morning America, Sam Champion, reports on extreme weather in this or that section of the country, without ever, not once, offering an explanation for what’s causing the record breaking heat or spate of tornadoes or flooding. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Sam Champion or any mainstream weather hound, for that matter, speak the controversial words, “climate change.”

I read that Mr. Obama made a surprise and secret visit to Afghanistan. Inside a fortified aircraft hangar located inside a fortified perimeter, Obama pretends to speak to the troops when in fact his speech is directed at American voters; the setting, the timing, and the rhetoric is stage-managed to assure voters that our decade long Afghan misadventure has actually been a smashing success. Obama now sees a way forward in Afghanistan, a path to peace and prosperity for the long-suffering Afghan people. Hail and rejoice! Shortly after Obama left the country on Air Force One, the Taliban, who do understand a thing or two about political theatre, mounted an attack in Kabul.

What else? On April 30th I watched Manchester United play Manchester City in an important English Premier League match. Seeing the squad Sir Alex Ferguson sent onto the pitch, it certainly appeared that the proud Scot was playing for a draw instead of a win. No Antonio Valencia to rampage down the right side, no Ashley Young, and no Danny Welbeck to operate in tandem up top with Wayne Rooney. Two days on, I’m still struggling to understand why Sir Alex started Ji-Sung Park, who hadn’t played since January. After creating a few early opportunities, Man U fell into a conservative, reactive posture, completely shorn of attacking verve. Rooney, star Man U striker, was alone up top, bereft of support, a deserted man on a deserted island. It was a very strange, timid performance by Man U. Goal differential favors Man City, and Man U fans are reduced to hoping for divine intervention.

The May Gloom is upon Santa Barbara. There’s a slight wind from the west, but little chance we’ll see the sun today.

No comments: