Saturday, July 10, 2021

Who Will Win, England or Italy?

 Every time the national team plays, no matter against whom, the country holds its breath.” Eduardo Galeano, Soccer in Sun and Shadow


The start of my semi-retirement has been very relaxed, free of worry. I’ve willed myself to do as little as possible, to honestly take a break, wind down. The other morning I took a long bike ride along the beach, followed by a five mile walk on the Riviera, where some of the loveliest homes in this city are. At night Santa Barbara shimmers and glitters down below. I came back to the flat land by way of winding Garcia Road. I feel ridiculously happy. I wake up slowly rather than like a man fired from a cannon. I’ve done some satisfying training sessions in my home gym, which is set up perfectly for all the modes of training I regularly do. And I’ve been reading a wonderful novel by Colm Toibin called The Master. It’s a stunning literary work. I’ve started a few poems. In the evening as the sun drops in the sky and the heat abates, we sit on our front porch, sipping pinot grigio. Life is very good. We love our new lodgings. 


For all that, my obsession this past week was Euro 2020, the semi-final matches between Italy and Spain, England and Denmark. I’m happy to see Italy in the Final. After France and Belgium, Italy was my team. I like the style of football they play under Roberto Mancini. I thought Spain played some very strong football against Italy in the semi-final, the first team in the tournament to dictate the tempo to the Azzurri. It was a classic match, concluding in a heart-stopping penalty shoot-out. Denmark put up stiff and valiant resistance against England deep into the additional periods, but it became clear that England had more strength and stamina. Kyle Walker was still sprinting with ease past the 110th minute; Denmark looked knackered. The penalty on Raheem Sterling was questionable, but give Harry Kane credit for his quick and sure reaction when Denmark’s Kaspar Schmeichel blocked his penalty kick. After decades of futility and heartbreak, England finally earned a berth on the biggest European stage of all. 


The Italian midfield is a joy to watch. Nicolo Barella, Jorginho, and Marco Verratti are each strong players on their own, all adept on playing in tight spaces and under extreme pressure. As a trio they are effective at winning the ball back quickly, and often high up the pitch. What the Italian midfield lacks is the raw physicality of England’s Declan Rice, and that lack is one reason I’m not convinced Italy can control the middle of the pitch for long periods of time. Jorginho is the key player for Italy in that respect, because, as he does for Chelsea in the Premier League, it’s Jorginho who keeps the ball moving, who offers an outlet to the back line, and who links the play. If England neutralize Jorginho, the Three Lions can control the midfield and get the ball to Harry Kane when he drops deeper to orchestrate England’s attack. Kane is in form again, not only scoring goals, but making incisive passes and intelligent runs.  


Another element the Azzurri lack is an out-and-out striker. Ciro Immobile and Andrea Belotti are workhorses up front, willing to make runs and press the ball, but goals have been coming from the wings by way of Lorenzo Insigne and Federico Chiesa. Italy needs their strikers to put some pressure on John Stones and Harry Maguire. The other reason I think England will prevail tomorrow night is the absence for Italy of Leonardo Spinazzola, who was having a fine tournament until he went down with an injury. Emerson Palmieri isn’t nearly as effective as Spinazzola, and, in fact, can be a liability. Finally, the match is being played in London at Wembley Stadium, an advantage for England. 


My prediction: England 2 - Italy 1. 



No comments: