Saturday, December 17, 2005

Poem - Apology to Mother Earth

Sorry about the methane gas rising from our
Garbage dumps
The dead and dying coral in the seas
Clear cutting & “Mountain Top Removal”
Sorry about the benzene in the ground water, acid in the rain
The radiation buried near your heart

When the meek inherit they will find a wasteland
A lonely place destroyed by indifference
Collective greed & arrogance
The insane notion that you were ours to subdue
And enslave

Despite clear signs & warnings
We keep slashing & burning, drilling & pumping
Lured, driven, goaded by profit, profit, profit
Our true God
Entitled to waste what we can afford to buy
Or so we think in our twisted way

We can’t leave well enough alone, let it be;
I ask the question I know the answer to:
Are such fools to be forgiven?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's ok, you are only human and to expect anything else from you would be naive. Plus let us not forget that I too will take a pound of flesh. On my best days, I kill of only a few hundred of you with my tears, belches and shakes. On my worst days I will ruin the lives of millions, killing children too young to swim and drown infants still in their cribs. So yes dear sir, you are polluting my lakes and streams and forever changing my appearance, but those things were happening far before man evolved. So the next time you decide to save some gas or purchase an alternative fuel vehicle, I will only respond by belching millions of tons of pollution into the air from one of my favorite holes. The changes you men make while your here will quickly be swallowed by my cycle once your gone. To me it makes no difference what you do to me, I've been hit by objects from space that have engulfed me in flames and left nothing on my surface. But I moved continents around and erected some mountains and filled oceans and created all that you see today. Once your gone, I'll do it all over again. All I ask is that you appreciate what I have to offer while your here. Take a long walk on the beach with your children, hold your wifes hand and remind yourself everyday how short and precious life is, because tomorrow could be YOUR last day, not mine. Peace, love, out. Signed, Mother Earth.