Sunday, December 23, 2007

POEM - THE NEXT MOMENT

Tonight I won’t think about the state of the world
or what George W. Bush has done to my country
the poor people of New Orleans
thousands of innocent Iraqis

I will listen to Coltrane and finish this beer
look into my son’s eyes, hear my daughter’s laughter
feel my wife’s hand on my shoulder

Wild flowers grow in unlikely places
weeds conquer cement
poppies defy the odds
tumbleweeds are destined to roll

To find happiness in an unhappy world
to experience peace in the midst of war
to laugh when everyone else is crying
to find calm when everyone else is hysterical
you’ve got to be a comedian, a simpleton or a sage

I can’t stop Bush from acting the fool
change human nature
all I can do is make a choice
about how the next moment
unfolds

No comments: