Wednesday, November 24, 2010

POEM: Pipe Dream

I want to live in a country that considers a state of permanent
War
Abnormal

I want to live in a country where the prison population declines
Rather than increases

I want to live in a country that cares more about meeting human needs
Than meeting the corporate bottom line

I want to live in a country that doesn’t torture people
Under any circumstances

I want to live in a country where young black men
Have the opportunity
To become old black men

I want to live in a country that respects international law
All the time
Absolutely

I want to live in a country where the distance between rich and poor
Is a narrow creek
Not a wide ocean

I want to live in a country that reveres the natural world
Instead of treating it like a 7-11

I want to live in a country that recognizes the difference
Between
Fact and opinion

I want to live in a country that prosecutes the crimes of the wealthy
As vigorously as it does the crimes of the poor

I want to live in a country that appreciates the contributions
Of women
Enough
To pay them the same as men

I want to live in a country that tells the truth
About itself
Instead of hiding behind false myths

Don’t wake me up
I don’t want this beautiful dream
To
End

No comments: