Thursday, March 28, 2013

Bon Voyage - My Son Goes to Paris


My son is leaving for Paris in twelve hours and we can’t find his passport. His bedroom looks like it was raided by the DEA; the content of every drawer, shelf and ledge lies in a heap in the middle of the floor.

When I ask him when he last had the passport, my son looks at me like I’m an idiot.

“How do you expect me to remember? This is mother’s fault. Mother, what did you do with my passport? This isn’t funny.”

“It has to be here,” I say. “Don’t panic, we’ll find it.”

His sister is downstairs, searching our Honda CRV, while my wife looks through the file drawer where we keep our important papers: old tax returns, paid bills, invoices, receipts, warranties, report cards, birth certificates, Social Security cards, and credit cards we never bothered to activate. Everything is there, except the kid’s passport.
 
“Great,” my son says, “I’m not going to Paris after all. Six months of waiting, six months of anticipation, six months of planning, down the drain. My life is ruined! I’m texting Winter.” Winter is his classmate and on-again, off-again friend. They’re in an “on” phase now, and spend hours texting or Skyping one another. Winter has a younger sister named Spring.

“Don’t say anything yet,” I say, checking the pockets of one of his coats. “It will turn up. Did you look in your book bag?”

Of course he looked in his book bag. What a stupid question.

My daughter returns from downstairs and reports that the passport isn’t hiding in the CRV. “Does this mean Gabriel isn’t going to Paris?”

“I found my passport,” my wife calls from the other room, “and a pair of earrings I’ve been looking for. Gabriel, you didn’t give me your passport, you have it and it’s somewhere in that disaster you call a room.”

“No, it’s not,” Gabriel sing-songs from his room. “I gave it to you and you lost it. Thanks, mother, for ruining my life!”

“Look under his futon,” my wife advises.

“Done,” I say. “No luck, although I did find two bowls, a cup, and a box of stale crackers.”

A minute later my mother-in-law calls, wanting to know if the passport has turned up. “Gaby texted me,” she says. “Where could the damn thing be? Did you look under his futon?”

While I’m talking to her mother my wife’s cell phone rings; her sister wants to know if we’ve located the passport. Why, she asks, did we wait until the night before to locate the passport?

My daughter announces that she is tired of looking and is retiring to her room to watch the Disney channel. “Too bad Gabriel isn’t going to Paris. He’s so lame.”

After another twenty fruitless minutes of searching, my son, beside himself, throws in the towel and calls his teacher to tell her the news; she urges him to stay calm and continue the search. His iPhone buzzes repeatedly with text messages from his classmates. His grandmother calls again. His aunt calls again, and then his cousin Mia. We’ve looked everywhere and are running out of ideas.

I’m trying not to panic, but the thought of the $3000 plus this trip cost us has my stomach churning. Adding to my anxiety is the fact that the $3000 is non-refundable. I can’t count the times we have lectured our son about taking care of his important things, like his retainer, his glasses, his student ID card, his iPod and iPhone. The boy is careless and nonchalant about his possessions. I remember how tickled he was the day his passport came in the mail, how he danced around his room talking about all the foreign lands he would visit.

We’ve looked everywhere. It’s growing late. My son’s bags are packed and standing by the front door. He’s in his room, curled in the fetal position atop the mound of clothes. “It’s over,” he wails, “I can’t go. Why is this happening to me?”

“What happened to the blue folder that had every scrap of paper related to Paris?” I ask my wife. “Where is that folder? I bet his passport is in it.”

My wife goes to the computer hutch in the living room and shuffles through a stack of papers, finds the blue folder and, sure enough, the passport is inside.

When we tell him he is going to Paris after all, Gabriel says, with all his teenage smugness intact: “See, I told you it wasn’t in my room.”






No comments: